Friday, September 20, 2013

Must Have Products Volume 1: All About Brows

Hello again!


Today's blog post will be dedicated to eyebrows! Over the past few months, I have become more aware of my barely-there brows, and have made more of an effort to fill them in. After all, eyebrows frame your face and can honestly make or break a makeup look. They just bring everything together and help your makeup stand out more in my opinion. 


Different Brow Styles using Anastasia Brow Pencil & Powder (left, middle) and MAC Dipdown (right) 

After having tried and tested various eyebrow products and after switching up my routine a bit, I have discovered certain eyebrow products that I can't live without! If you would like to know more, then keep reading!

1. ANASTASIA BEVERLY HILLS Brow Wiz in Ash Blonde ($27.00 CDN)


Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz in Ash Blonde ($27.00 CDN)
This is an dual-ended eyebrow pencil with one side featuring a retractable brow pencil, and a brow spoolie brush on the other. The pencil itself is super fine, and isn't too hard or too creamy. It glides on eyebrows effortlessly, and its fine tip allows you to mimic brow hairs for a natural look. The eyebrow spoolie on the other end is smaller than most eyebrow spoolie brushes, allowing for a more precise blending tool to brush out your eyebrow hairs. It dries to a nice matte finish, and once applied doesn't smudge or wear off. I absolutely love this pencil, and it is the best eyebrow pencil that I have ever used! 

This product can be found at Sephora 

2. ANASTASIA BEVERLY HILLS Brow Powder Duo in Ash Blonde/Taupe ($30.00 CDN) 

This brow powder duo contains two different shades, a lighter color and a darker one, perfect for filling in eyebrows. The powder itself is smooth and very pigmented, so a little product goes a long way. Anastasia recently repackaged her eyebrow products which now look a lot sleeker, but I believe they contain the same amount of product. I still have my brow powder duo in the old packaging (a silver compact) from maybe a year ago, and have still not hit pan yet! I use the lighter shade in the duo to fill in the front part of my eyebrow, and the darker shade towards the tail of my brow. 


Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Powder Duo in Ash Blonde/Taupe ($30.00 CDN)


Sephora Collection Brow Filler Brush
 in #100 ($12 CDN) 
With this powder I use an eyebrow brush from Sephora. I believe they changed their brushes recently because I can't seem to find it in stores or on the site (it could have been repackaged) but I believe it is the SEPHORA COLLECTION Classic Brow Filler Brush #100 ($12.00 CDN). There is something about this brush that I absolutely adore! It is dense and kind of stiff, in a good way! It picks up the powder so easily and it is the perfect size for my eyebrows. I have used other brushes from more high-end brands and they don't compare to this! I would definitely recommend this brush to anyone looking for thicker, more dense eyebrow brush!

This product can be found at Sephora along with this brush



3. BENEFIT COSMETICS Gimme Brow in Light/Medium ($26.00 CDN)

If you have read my previous post about this product, then you know that I am absolutely obsessed with it! I have been using it for a little while now and love it! In case you missed my last post, Benefit describes this product as a 'brow volumizing fibre gel that adheres to your skin and brow hairs, creating the illusion of thicker, fuller brows. The product itself contains small fibers (think of it like a fiber mascara) that coat your brows. It is buildable, and the brush is tapered and precise, allowing for an easily application. The formula itself is also water resistant and lasts all day! 


Benefit 'Gimme Brow' in Light/Medium ($26.00 CDN)
When I have no time to do my eyebrows in the morning before work, this is my go to product. I quickly brush this product on my eyebrow hairs to darken them and make them appear fuller in no time!

Again, you can find this gem at Sephora 


4. MAC COSMETICS Fluidline in Dipdown ($19 CDN) 

MAC Fluidline in Dipdown ($19.00 CDN)
If you are not familiar with MAC fluidline, it is a gel-like consistency eyeliner, that glides on super smooth and lasts all day. The colour Dipdown is a dark brown matte colour. This in another multi-use product as I use it both for eyeliner and to shape my brows when I want them to be super defined! I do have to be very careful when I use this product on my brows, because it is a very dark brown colour and it can easily look fake. However, I use the smallest amount and wipe my brush off before using it under my eyebrows to create a more defined look. For this product, I either use an angled eyeliner brush or a MAC #212 Flat Definer Brush ($28.50 CDN). Both brushes create a flat, defined line so either would work fine! 


This product can be purchased at MAC

5. MAC COSMETICS Studio Finish SPF 35 Concealer in NW15 ($22.00 CDN)

This product is a great two-in-one product! I use this concealer to cover blemishes as well as redness around my nose, but I also love using this concealer to carve out my brows! The concealer itself is very creamy and opaque, but doesn't feel too heavy on the skin. It is also long-wearing and super blendable. 


MAC Studio Finish SPF 35 Concealer in NW15 ($22 CDN)
When I am looking for a more defined eyebrow look, I use this concealer with a MAC #195 Concealer Brush ($28.50 CDN). I just dip the brush in the product and follow the outline of my brows, both upper and lower, to help define my eyebrow and clean up and mistakes I may have made with pencil or powder. I also blend the concealer down into my brow bone, which works at a great base for a highlight. 

I purchased this product when I was visiting a Cosmetic Company Outlet (CCO) in Buffalo, so I got it for about half price! If you live around one, I would definitely check it out, otherwise you can purchase it at MAC

6. ANASTASIA BEVERLY HILLS Brow Gel in Clear ($29.00 CDN)


Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Gel
in Clear ($29.00 CDN)
Sorry for praising so many Anastasia products, but what can I say? This girl sure knows eyebrows! I have used other brow gels in the past, and I can honestly say that this is the best one I have ever used, hands down. It coats my brows evenly and helps them stay in place all day. The best part about this gel is that is doesn't leave you with that crunchy look that some eyebrow gels can give you. This gel is very natural looking and once it dries, doesn't budge! This gel also apparently has a soothing chamomile formula that conditions your brows, which is a plus I suppose! The only downfall to all Anastasia products is the price! If $30 seems a but excessive to you for brow gel, a great drugstore alternative is the Maybelline Great Lash Mascara in Clear (Under $5.00 CDN, Drugstores). This gel feels slightly thicker when applying it, and for me doesn't look AS natural, but the finish doesn't bother enough to stop using it. It is a steal for the price! 

Anastasia Brow Gel can be found at Sephora
Maybelline Great Lash can be purchased at any drugstore (I purchase mine from Shoppers Drug Mart

I know that this can seem like an excessive amount of products for some, but keep in mind that I don't always use all of them together on a daily basis. Depending on the look I am going for I use a few of them at a time. However, I am confident in calling all of these products my holy grail eyebrow products and I would repurchase them in a heartbeat! If you have any questions about the products mentioned, feel free to leave a comment below! 

I'm thinking that I will create of series of these posts to discuss what my holy grail products are for my eyes, lips, face, etc. If you like the idea, let me know what types of products you would like to see next! I am also working on an upcoming 'Top 10 Lipsticks for Fall' so stay tuned for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment