Thursday, October 24, 2013

Top 5: Dark Lipsticks for Fall

Hello again,

As you probably know, I've been meaning to write about my Favourite Fall Lipsticks for some time now. I have been holding off on writing this post because I keep finding new lipsticks that I think would be perfect for the fall season, but of course I have to try them first! 

Lipsticks (L-R):Wet N' Wild Cherry Bomb, MAC Media,
MAC Talk That Talk, Urban Decay Venom, YSL Violet Edition 
After doing some research and going through my current collection, I have compiled a list of my top 5 dark lipsticks for fall:

1. Wet N' Wild's Cherry Bomb
2. MAC's Media
3. MAC's Talk That Talk
4. Urban Decay's Venom
5. YSL's Violet Edition

Lipsticks (L-R):Wet N' Wild Cherry Bomb, MAC Media,
MAC Talk That Talk, Urban Decay Venom, YSL Violet Edition 

If you're interested in hearing more about these shades, then keep reading!



Swatches (L-R): Cherry Bomb, Media, Talk That Talk, Venom, Violet Edition (without flash)

Swatches (L-R): Cherry Bomb, Media, Talk That Talk, Venom, Violet Edition (with flash)

Top 5: Dark Lipsticks for Fall 

1. Wet N' Wild Lipstick in Cherry Bom/918D ($2.99 CDN) 

Although this lipstick is a pretty recent purchase for me, I LOVE it! It is a beautiful deep wine colour that is perfect for the fall weather! The texture is creamy and smooth, and doesn't tug on the lips. The finish of this lipstick is comparable to a Cremesheen lipstick from MAC, it is opaque and creamy, and has a slight glossy finish to the lips. For the price, this is a steal! The packaging is crappy of course, but that's what I would expect in a $2 lipstick anyways. Either way, it's a great fall colour that would look good on anyone, and is a perfect 'trendy' colour without the high price. 

2. MAC Lipstick in Media ($18.00 CDN)

This lipstick is a gorgeous deep dark red wine colour that is suitable for any skin tone. It has a satin finish according to MAC standards, and is very creamy and pigmented. It provides opaque coverage in one swipe, and can also be sheered out for a more subtle look. I think that this particular MAC shade doesn't get as much hype as Rebel, Diva, or Cyber (All super gorgeous fall shades by the way), but I feel that Media is a beautiful vampy shade that is perfect for fall, and it should not be overlooked! 

3. MAC Lipstick in Talk That Talk ($20.00 CDN)

I know what you're thinking. Why am I including a limited edition shade in my top 5?! But I just had to! I have been lusting over this shade ever since I saw the promo images months ago. If you don't already know, Rihanna launched an exclusive collection with MAC (Riri Hearts MAC) over the course of the year, including an upcoming collection for Winter 2013. For more information about her Fall collection that recently debuted in October, click here. 'Talk That Talk' is a deep matte plum colour that is far more intimidating in the tube than on the lips. When swatched, the colour of this lipstick is a deep plum with hints of burgundy. The texture is a little dry, but not as drying as most matte lipsticks.  The finish is described as a 'Retro Matte' which in my opinion are slightly creamier and less drying then regular matte lipsticks. Although this lipstick formula is still drying, I love the matte finish of this bold shade. It provides an alternative look to the classic vampy lip this fall and I love that. (FYI, Media lipstick is VERY similar to this shade, but has a different finish, and although this shade is limited, there are various dupes out there) 

4. Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in Venom ($26.00 CDN) 

Again, although this lipstick is a recent purchase of mine, I knew I would love it due to the fact that I adore Urban Decay's Revolution lipstick formula! These lipsticks are super creamy and smooth. They glide on the lips flawlessly, leaving behind a slightly glossy finish. They are opaque and long-wearing, and just feel so good on the lips. Venom is a deep berry colour that is very popular for fall. It is nearly identical to MAC's Rebel (another timeless fall favourite of mine) in both colour and finish, which is sometimes hard to find. It is also very similar to Wet N' Wild's Sugar Plum Fairy (908C). Check my Instagram for comparison swatches! However, the reason I included this lipstick in my top 5 and not Rebel is because of the texture. Urban Decay's formula beats MAC as the formula is SO creamy and buttery, it just glides over the lips, while moisturizing them, providing a smooth, glossy finish. I highly recommend these lipsticks! 

5. YSL Glossy Stain #1 Violet Edition ($36.00 CDN)

I was slightly reluctant to purchase another YSL glossy stain, as I have purchased a nude colour in the past and hated it! It smelled like alcohol to me, (and still does in my opinion) but also had no colour payoff and didn't stain my lips at all. However, when I saw that Jessica Harlow bought and tried this particular shade on in a haul, I knew that I had to try them again! I would definitely agree that if you are interested in these stains, to try a darker shade in the collection opposed to a nude or light pink. I picked up shade 01 Violet Edition as per her recommendation, and love the deep purple tone of this shade. This truly has a strong staining effect, as it stained my hand within seconds of me swatching and removing it. It has the same effect on the lips. The texture itself is a little strange, as it glides on smoothly and dries very quickly. If you're not careful, it could also become streaky as I feel that the colour doesn't layer well if you don't let each layer fully dry first before applying another. However, with proper application, this lip stain is phenomenal! The colour leans more purple than any of the other colours in my top 5, which I like, and it's unlike anything else I have in my collection. Although it it slightly tight on the lips, the glossy finish stays on the lips, and provides full colour coverage that lasts!

In this photo I am wearing MAC's Nightmoth Lipliner with Media Lipstick 

If you're looking for a great lipliner for any of these lipsticks mentioned, I would definitely recommend Nightmoth by MAC ($18.00 CDN). Nightmoth is the perfect deep purple/wine shade and it so versatile. It can be used with both light and dark shades and creates the most perfect base for all of these shades.

This concludes my top 5 dark lipsticks for Fall! If you have any favourites, feel free to leave them in the comments below! I also plan on doing a post on my favourite nude lipsticks (both drugstore and high-end) so stay tuned for that! I also have a couple of reviews coming up on new products from different Holiday 2013 collections. Until then, thank you so much for reading! 

XO, 
Brittany 

1 comment: