Monday, October 21, 2013

Small Beauty Haul: Essentials & A New Foundation!

Hello! 

I know I've been posting hauls galore over here, but I've been meaning to post this one for a while now...I recently went to Shopper's Drug Mart because I wanted to redeem my Optimum points on some essential products that I needed, and splurged on a new foundation that I've been wanting to try! If you don't know about the Optimum points program, it is a free-to-join points card program available at Shopper's Drug Mart that rewards you with 10 points for every dollar spent. I always try to take advantage of their points events (like 20x the points) to ensure that the program it actually worth it. Anyways, I had the highest level of points available for redemption (95,000 points which equalled $170.00 off) so I decided to pick up items that I needed to repurchase, but didn't necessarily want to spend the money on. I piked up a few other random things for my boyfriend, but this is all I managed to grab for $170! 


Haul (L-R): Estée Lauder Double Wear Foundation, Philosophy Purity Cleanser, Guerlain Liquid Eyeliner, Macadamia Deep Repair Masque, L'Oréal Voluminous Full Definition Mascara  
Continue reading if you're interested in seeing what I picked up...




I'll start off with the items that I repurchased. I finally ran out of my giant bottle of Philosophy Purity Cleanser ($44.00 CDN), which took me about a little less than a year I want to say. This stuff is awesome! It's gentle enough for the eyes, removes makeup, clears skin, and is just an overall amazing everyday face cleanser. I use it everyday (day and night) to take off my makeup (even mascara and eyeliner), and I also use it with my Clarisonic Mia 2. I love that it has a nice fresh scent that is not overpowering, and you only need the smallest amount to wash your entire face. I probably use way too much... Either way, if you're looking for a good face wash that you can use daily, Philosophy's Purity is the way to go! I will continue to repurchase this until I find something better (which will be hard because I don't really want to)

I also repurchased the Guerlain Liquid Eye-Liner in 01 Noir Ebene ($42.00 CDN) This liquid eyeliner is amazing! It has everything I want in a liquid eyeliner: it has a fine brush tip (not felt) that smoothly paints on a thin or thick line, it's super black and does not flake like the Urban Decay 24/7 Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner, and the packaging is gorgeous! The bottle is a frosted glass oval shaped bottle with a long gold handle (which becomes the brush/applicator) However, I do have a love/hate relationship with the packaging because my old one has cracked from dropping it too many times to count...which is my own fault (the product still works great, but it is hard to close and I fear that it will eventually dry out) I would definitely recommend this eyeliner if you love a brush tip applicator and are willing to spend the money on it, just be careful not to drop this gorgeous bottle! 

The final thing I repurchased was the Macadamia Natural Oils Deep Repair Masque ($38.00 CDN) I don't know where to begin with this masque! I have probably repurchased it at least 5 times, as I use it more as a conditioner instead of a hair mask. I have very dry ends, as my hair is in major need of a cut, but also because I have very colour-treated hair (I have bleached it way too many times) My hair soaks up this mask immediately and I try to leave it in for a few minutes. When I rinse it out my hair immediately feels nourished and hydrated, not to mention super soft. I also LOVE the smell of this product. I had not repurchased it for a while and was just using regular condition (which I try to switch it up with during the week), but my hair did not feel the same, and I think it's safe to say that I can't live without this stuff! 

I also picked up a tube of L'Oréal Voluminous Full Definition Mascara ($10.00 CDN) because I always hear Jaclyn Hill rave about this mascara, preferring it over more high-end brands. I also think that the Voluminous Carbon Black mascara is amazing, so I wanted to give this one a try as well. I am still working on a few other mascaras at the moment. I am currently using Rimmel Lash Accelerator, along with a few others, but I will let you know when I give this one a try. 


Finally, I was looking through the Beauty Boutique section, and saw that there was an Estée Lauder and Guerlain section. I immediately thought of the Estée Lauder Double Wear Foundation as well as the Guerlain Lingerie de Peau Foundation, and after speaking with the sales associate, felt that I wanted to try a more full coverage foundation, as I usually lean towards more dewy/illuminating foundations. The Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay In Place Makeup ($42.00 CDN) is a 15-hour wear, medium to full coverage (buildable), semi-matte foundation. Below is a description of the foundation, found on  Estée Lauder's website:

"15-hour staying power. Flawless all day. This worry-free, long-wearing makeup stays fresh and looks natural through heat, humidity, nonstop activity. Won't change colour, smudge, or come off on clothes. Feels lightweight and comfortable. Now the flawless look you see in the morning is the look you keep all day. Oil-free. Fragrance-free." 

In terms of it's claims, my initial reaction was that this foundation is long-wearing, although I haven't yet tested its 15-hour wear time, nor do I want to. I usually only wear foundation a few hours, so I don't really feel the need to test out it's 15 hour wear (However, I did get a solid 8 hours of wear before I removed it) The finish of the foundation is matte, and it really doesn't move around on the skin. I usually produce some oil around my t-zone after a few hours of wearing foundation (especially at work), but I didn't notice any oil on my face when I checked after a few hours. I didn't experience any discomfort while wearing this foundation, and it was easy to apply. I have only wore this foundation once or twice, so I will let you know a more in-depth review when I try it out a few more times. If you have oily skin, I'm sure that you will LOVE this foundation. However, if you are dry, it may seem a little too matte for the skin, as I found that it can look a bit powdery if not applied properly.

That's all for now. I hope you enjoyed reading about some of my favourite products to repurchase, as well as some new products I have yet to try. If you have tried any of these products, feel free to tell me about them in the comments section, as well as some of your favourite products to buy! 

XO, 
Brittany 

No comments:

Post a Comment